[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: retlaw

Lieven L. Litaer levinius at gmx.de
Thu Feb 8 09:22:42 PST 2018

Am 08.02.2018 um 17:48 schrieb nIqolay Q:
>     PUN:
>       "Walter" backwards (i.e. Walter Dent?)
>
> ​The ​backwards "Walter" is so obvious that it almost has to be
> intentional, but I haven't been able to find any Internet reference to a
> "Walter Dent" who would be a reasonable inspiration for the pun.

It really could be anything. But there are some hints on finding
Okrand's puns. First, due to his age, he knows man things, music and
people from the sixties and seventies which we may not be aware of.
Next, he likes using names that were related to his place or job, as the
word renwI' is related to the Renwick building where he used to teach.

Another idea: maybe it's not the first name of a person. A quick search
on the web revealed "Albert Walter Dent", an afro american who
participated in the March on Washington in 1963, where Okrand lives
today - Perhaps he remembered that march? (although he was too young to
walk in it).

Another search on Amazon books reveals a book about "The Rime of the
Ancient Mariner" with the named authors "Samuel Taylor Coleridge" and
"Walter Dent". That story has been translated by QeS lagh, so there's a
possible relationship.

I also found a "Walter Dent Bayles"...

Or maybe it's just the name of the neighbor's dog. :-)

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka the "Klingon Teacher from Germany"