[tlhIngan Hol] Bing Translator pIqaD support...

Daniel Dadap daniel at dadap.net
Thu Feb 8 04:53:05 PST 2018

Curious, when I saw your message I thought perhaps they fixed it, but I still am unable to use pIqaD on Bing. The specific symptoms I see are:

* The language drop down menus now only list “Klingon” and not “Klingon (pIqaD)”.
* The “tlh-Qaak” value in the “from” and “to” GET parameters no longer works. For example, http://www.bing.com/translator/?from=en&to=tlh-Qaak&text=success <http://www.bing.com/translator/?from=en&to=tlh-Qaak&text=success> translates into Afrikaans (probably because it’s the first language in the list alphabetically, and tlh-Qaak no longer matches anything), but if you change tlh-Qaak to tlh, you get “Qapla’”
* Typing unicode pIqaD into the translator field displays in whatever font my OS chooses as a fallback, rather than Bing’s own pIqaD web font.
* In “Klingon” mode, Bing is unable to translate pIqaD text into anything else.

I tried a handful of browsers (I don’t remember which ones; I stopped trying when I was satisfied it wasn’t a “mobile” vs. “desktop” issue) on iOS, Debian GNU/Linux, and macOS. Or perhaps it’s a regional thing, and the updated interface hasn’t been rolled out worldwide, yet. (I’m in the US.)

I suppose I ought to report this to Microsoft, lest they be doing some kind of A/B test to see if people notice/miss the pIqaD support, to determine whether to continue maintaining it.