[tlhIngan Hol] Maltz about to compare

Lieven L. Litaer levinius at gmx.de
Tue Feb 6 23:08:47 PST 2018

Am 06.02.2018 um 21:44 schrieb SuStel:
> You're still giving it a rank according to an external measure. If I get
> a D, it means I'm ranked poorly compared to /hypothetical/ other students.

Right. I asked Marc about that, and this is what he answered:

--------------
 > What about "she has been ranked lieutenant"? Does it work like {pong}?
 > {ghaHvaD Sogh patlhlu'}

For this, use the noun {patlh}:  {Sogh 'oH patlhDaj'e'}

 > going from this, I see that {patlhmoH} could be used for a captain to
grade/promote a person {wo'rIv patlhmoH HoD}. Make sense?

The sentence is fine.  It means something like "The captain ranked
Worf," that is, the captain made a judgment about how well Worf was
doing or how valuable Worf was compared to someone else or to a group
(or, I suppose, "The captain graded Worf").

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka the "Klingon Teacher from Germany"