[tlhIngan Hol] new words episode 14 and 15

kechpaja kechpaja at comcast.net
Tue Feb 6 10:14:44 PST 2018

On Tue, Feb 06, 2018 at 05:36:32PM +0200, mayqel qunenoS wrote:
> 'oqranD:
> > {QIl} v. "be desperate", as when there's no way out, they have
> > nothing to lose.
>
> Is there any other kind of desperate ? I'm asking since english is not my
> native language, in case I'm missing something with regards to the meaning
> of "desperate".

The word "desperate" can describe either a situation with the
characteristics mentioned above (or a person in such a situation), or it
can be used metaphorically to describe a person who really, really wants
something.

what I think Marc is trying to convey is that {QIl} only applies to the
former case (although it's not clear from that snippet whether it refers
to the situation or the person), and can't be used to translate a
sentence like "I'm desperate for a coffee right now", which really just
means that you really, really want some caffeine.

 - SapIr