[tlhIngan Hol] Maltz about fear

Lieven L. Litaer levinius at gmx.de
Mon Feb 5 11:54:39 PST 2018

Am 02.02.2018 um 15:40 schrieb Felix Malmenbeck:
> If one requires a noun to describe a fear, one could also combine -vIp and -ghach.

Of course I know many ways to talk around the idea. But if I'm
translating a verse that talks about "fear" as if it were a person, a
verb does not work. This situation is more poetic, like "Winter is
knocking at te door". You can't go and say "it's cold outside and
someone knocks at the door." :-/

Nevertheless, Okrand later added:

"Maltz knows the Federation Standard word "fear." He doesn't know a
Klingon equivalent. It's one of those cases where one language has a
word for something but another language doesn't.  That doesn't mean you
can't talk about it or express the same idea — it's just that you do it
a different way."

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka the "Klingon Teacher from Germany"