[tlhIngan Hol] -chuqmoH & -'eghmoH

Daniel Dadap daniel at dadap.net
Fri Dec 28 20:48:13 PST 2018

> On Dec 28, 2018, at 19:59, De'vID <de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Are there actually two possibilities? What's an example of an ambiguous sentence?

I meant the interpretation of the combination of -chuqmoH being a transitive “A causes plural B do something to each other” like in {Qo'noS tuq muvchuqmoH qeylIS} or a non transitive “plural A make each other something” like in the {rIQchuqmoH SuvwI'} example. It’s not even a case of one of those verbs being stative and the other not: they’re both transitive verbs. In one case muvchuq tuq means the tuq are muving each other and that is the thing that qeylIS is moHing, and in the other, SuvwI' rIQmoH SuvwI' is what the warriors are chuqing each other with. I didn’t mean to say that a single sentence could be interpreted both ways, but it probably isn’t impossible for that to happen if you get weird enough.