[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: QI'lop

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Thu Dec 27 07:22:03 PST 2018

Klingon Word of the Day for Wednesday, December 26, 2018

Klingon word: QI'lop
Part of speech: noun
Definition: holiday (name of a)
Source: PK

(PK):  There are also special phrases, traditionally used on holidays.  We will focus on two of the best known holidays.  One, which comes every tenth Klingon month, is {QI'lop}.  {QI'lop} celebrates the superiority of the Klingon military."

The spelling {QI'lop} is a guess of Michael Dorn's pronunciation and it's sometimes known in U.S. fandom as *Ke'Plak* and in the Khemorex Klinzhai fan groups - at least the German chapters - as *Qetlop*.  Lieven once posted that, "When they were looking for a name for the meeting, they listened to one of the tapes and heard Michael Dorn say it, but there was no transcription for it yet. Since the apostrophe sounds pretty close to a swallowed {t} someone wrote down *Qet'lop* [yes, every Klingon word must have an apostrophe somewhere ;-)] After I had given several {qepHommey}, our 'admiral' decided to take the apostrophe away, but still use *Qetlop* because the name had become too famous till then."

However you spell it, stuffed *tobbaj* legs are the traditional food served on this holiday.  Two phrases you might hear are:

  to'baj 'uS lughoDlu'bogh tIlaj
  Accept these stuffed *tobbaj* legs! PK

  Ho'Du'lIjDaq to'baj 'uSHom lughoDlu'bogh tu'lu'
  You have some stuffed *tobbaj* leg in your teeth. PK

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons