[tlhIngan Hol] Using aspect as tense

mayqel qunenoS mihkoun at gmail.com
Fri Dec 28 03:14:21 PST 2018

SuStel:
> naH jajmeywIj bIQ'a' HeHDaq jIyIt
> In my youth I walked on the beach.
> My intention here is to imply that I used to walk on the beach;
> it was my habit to walk on the beach in my youth
jIH:
> If this sentence describes a habit taking place during youth, then
> shouldn't the sentence be {qaStaHvIS naH jajmeywIj, bIQ'a' HeHDaq
> jIyIt} ?
> The way I would understand {naH jajmeywIj bIQ'a' HeHDaq jIyIt}, is
> that "in my youth, once I walk on the beach".
SuStel:
> The sentence could be interpreted as In my youth I walk on the beach,
> but only if you're conceptually casting yourself back in time to those heady
> vegetable days.

I'm rather confused here..

In your original sentence, i.e. {naH jajmeywIj bIQ'a' HeHDaq jIyIt},
your intended meaning was the stating of an action while conceptually
casting yourself back in time at that moment ? At a moment of a
specific walk on the beach, where a crab bites your foot ? An
action/event which took place only once ?

Or was the intended meaning that while you were young you were
habitually walking on a beach ? i.e. describing an event which was
happening regularly ? But an event you're actually re-living at the
time of the narration of the sentence ?

Or was the intended meaning, the description of a habitual event which
was happening regularly, but without re-living it at the time that the
sentence is spoken ?

mayqel *I love maltz* qunen'oS