[tlhIngan Hol] The prefix trick and indefinite subjects

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Sat Dec 22 16:21:02 PST 2018

On 12/22/2018 6:50 PM, Daniel Dadap wrote:
> I asked this question on the Discord server a while back and got an opinion, but I wondered about it again recently, so I was curious to hear other opinions.
>
> Can the prefix trick be used with -lu'? For example,
>
> vIleghlu': I was seen
>
> Or do we have to make the indefinite subject explicit, with vay':
>
> mulegh vay': Somebody saw me

I don't understand how this has anything to do with the prefix trick.
*vIleghlu'* is the normal way to say /I am seen*./ The prefix trick
becomes involved when you're using a verb prefix to indicate an indirect
object instead of a direct object. I suppose the question might be
whether something like *jIHvaD ghaH chuplu'*/He is recommended to me
/could be altered via the prefix trick: would it be *ghaH vIchuplu'?* I
don't see any technical reason why it couldn't be done, but as you say,
it has never been seen in canon so there's no supporting evidence for it
either.

* /I was seen/ would normally be expressing a single instance of being
seen, rather than a general state of being seen or anything like that,
and would usually appear as *vIleghlu'pu'.*