[tlhIngan Hol] Orion

Lieven L. Litaer levinius at gmx.de
Sun Dec 9 06:34:18 PST 2018

On Sunday, 9 December 2018 06:42:54 GMT mayqel qunenoS wrote:
 >> I just saw naHqun post on qabpaq, that we have received a word for
"orion"  {'oray} {'orayya'}.

Am 09.12.2018 um 10:43 schrieb Jeremy Silver:
> I would hazard a guess Lieven commented this elsewhere on qabpaq at least 42
> weeks ago. It probably stemmed from request about a Discovery subtitle, and
> only two people saw it.

Well, that's partially right, but it's definitely true that this canon
word is missing from the KLI's new word list and also from boQwI'.

Indeed, the word had first appeared publically in a subtitle of DSC
episode 1.15 on February 5, 2018:

   "The land was given to the Orions,"
   {'oraynganpu'vaD puH noblu'}

   "In my world, the Orions are delinquents, pirates, slave traders"
   {qo'wIjDaq, HeSwI', toy'wI''a' mechwI' je chaH 'orayngan'e'.}

The new words were published on the exact same day at the Klingon
Language Wiki:
http://www.klingonwiki.net/En/NewWordsNetflix

The words also appear in the tlhInganHolmu'ghom, of which I'm still
wondering who made it:
https://tlhinganholmughom.wordpress.com/2018/02/23/26/

{'orayngan} was also mentioned on twitter on February 12:
https://twitter.com/pIqaD/status/964709812629131266/photo/1

So it was not seen by only two people ;-)

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka the "Klingon Teacher from Germany"