[tlhIngan Hol] -chuqmoH & -'eghmoH

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Sat Dec 29 07:36:43 PST 2018

On 12/29/2018 10:02 AM, De'vID wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 29, 2018, 17:51 SuStel <sustel at trimboli.name
> <mailto:sustel at trimboli.name> wrote:
>
>     On 12/28/2018 10:59 PM, De'vID wrote:
>>     Two verbs to consider here are {tuQ} and {tatlh}. {tuQmoH} and
>>     {tatlh'egh} are lexicalised,
>
>     How do we know that *tuQmoH* is lexicalized?
>
> I guess we don't know for certain, and it's confusing because it's
> glossed in TKD as "put on (clothes)", and in HolQeD 2.4, {tuQmoHHa'}
> (not {tuQHa'moH}) is used with the meaning "take off (clothes)".

I think the gloss /put on (clothes)/ is misleading as to the grammar of
*tuQmoH. *I believe *tuQ* works just like any other verb. It's just that
the English terminology doesn't use the same grammar as the Klingon that
makes it confusing.

*tuQ* /wear (clothes)
/*tuQmoH*/put on (clothes)
/*tuQHa'moH*/undress, take off (clothes)
/

*HIp vItuQ* /I wear the uniform
/*puq vItuQmoH*/I dress the child; I cause the child to wear (something
unspecified)
/*HIp vItuQmoH* /I dress someone unspecified in the uniform; I put the
uniform on (someone unspecified)
/*puqvaD HIp vItuQmoH*/I dress the child in the uniform; I cause the
child to wear the uniform/

*jItuQHa'moH* /I undress someone unspecified; I cause someone
unspecified to un-wear.
/*puq vItuQHa'moH* /I undress the child; I cause the child to un-wear
(something unspecified)
/*HIp vItuQHa'moH*/I take the uniform off (of someone unspecified); I
cause someone unspecified to un-wear the uniform
/*puqvaD HIp vItuQHa'moH*/I remove the uniform from the child; I cause
the child to un-wear the uniform/