[tlhIngan Hol] learning time

Luciano Montanaro mikelima at gmail.com
Fri Dec 7 07:00:08 PST 2018

wa'DIch 'oH QInvam'e'.
'Italya' ngan jIH.
loSwen tlhIngan Hol vIghojchoH.
tlHingan Hol, Doychlan Hol je vIghojmeH, duolingo vIlo'...

Well, at least that's my best effort. I have been lurking on the list
for a couple of months now but I haven't been compelled to say
anything yet. I appreciate the word of the day posting
I cannot say I am at a level I can do a basic conversation yet, though
I hope to get there. I also hope I wrote something sensible up there.
I am still unsure abut the verb suffixes.

Maybe I will be able to answer in another six months? One way or another! :)

Learning the vocabulary is a big part of the difficulty, as you are
probably all aware, but also learning how to cope with the missing
prepositions appears to be challenging.
On the other hand, the grammar, while unusual, is very regular, so that helps.

I did an attempt at speech on the discord server a couple of weeks
ago, but it still takes too long to build a phrase, and my vocabulary
is too limited.

I am curious myself to see if I succeed and how long will it take to
get to a decent level of proficiency.

Qapla'!

Luciano

On Fri, Dec 7, 2018 at 11:52 AM <kechpaja at kechpaja.com> wrote:

> My experience is that learning Klingon takes about as much time and
> effort as learning any other new language that isn't related to one you
> already know (or perhaps less, given how straightforward the morphology
> is).
>
> For me, that means that the only meaningful metric for how long it's
> taken me to learn Klingon is how many hours I've spent actively
> communicating (either in person, or through a textual medium) in
> Klingon. Given the number of conversations I've had in Klingon, I'd say
> that my level is on par with the level I'd expect to have in, say,
> Georgian or Chinese after a similar amount of study.
>
> On Fri, Dec 07, 2018 at 08:55:54AM +0100, Lieven L. Litaer wrote:
> >Hi there,
> >
> >I'm writing an article about the frequent question "How long does it
> >take to learn Klingon?".
> >
> >I know that many of us had a non-defined beginning or end of learning,
> >but some really started at one day and ended up quite fluently a short
> >time later. I know of our greek friend (who changes his signature name
> >constantly) and DeSDu', who both got quite fluent in about one year,
> >proving what I'm saying all along.
> >
> >So - who is here among you or can tell about former Klingonists who may
> >confirm they learned the language in a similarly short period of time?
> >
> >By the way, I'm not talking about fluent speakers of which there are
> >only five in the world. It's more about those who can do a basic
> >conversation, but still without any dictionary help.
> >
> >--
> >Lieven L. Litaer
> >aka the "Klingon Teacher from Germany"
> >http://www.klingonwiki.net/En/LearningTime

Luciano Montanaro

Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on
no account be allowed to do the job. -- Douglas Adams