[tlhIngan Hol] 2018 qep'a' Proverb Contest Results

David Holt kenjutsuka at live.com
Sun Aug 5 21:37:04 PDT 2018

Last month, the Klingon Language Institute hosted {qep'a' cha'maH vaghDIch}, its twenty-fifth annual conference. As part of the celebration, Dr. Marc Okrand reviewed submissions from KLI members and "discovered" two new proverbs: a Replacement Proverb and a Secrecy Proverb.

The newly identified {qa'meH vIttlhegh} Replacement Proverb, submitted by Alan Anderson (ghunchu'wI'):

  Qap tlham.

This is translated as "Gravity works." It implies something like "gravity is doing its job" or "gravity is functioning properly."

The newly identified {pegh vIttlhegh} Secrecy Proverb, submitted by Jack Bradley (DeSDu'):

  vabDot Sovbe' targhwIj.

The usual translation is "Even my targ won't know!" It's more literally "in addition, my targ will not know," with an assumed reference to others not knowing in the first place.

Congratulations to the two who unearthed these treasures. Of course, the real winners are the members of the Klingon-speaking community, with a richer collection of expressive phrases to use and enjoy.

janSIy