[tlhIngan Hol] Words from The Little Prince

Lieven L. Litaer levinius at gmx.de
Fri Aug 31 07:46:18 PDT 2018

Am 31.08.2018 um 16:39 schrieb SuStel:
> On 8/31/2018 10:30 AM, Lieven L. Litaer wrote:
>> From "ta'puq mach - The Little Prince (klingon translation) ", p. 153-156
>
> Is *ta'puq* a new word as well, or one of your own constructions?

Not canon, but not my own construction either: It first appeared in Hamlet.

I thought about this for a very long time. In the beginning, I worked
with {ta'Hom mach} for a long time, and it almost made it into the final
version. But I thought that -Hom is diminutive, making this person a
lesser person somehow. When Okrand asked Maltz for the Klingon word of
it, he asked back what kind of prince this is after all? He also did not
like to confirm {ta'puq}, which had been used in Hamlet.

So I decided to take {ta'puq} just for that reason that it had been used
in Hamlet (so klingonists would recognize it as a used word), and also
because it just does not matter for the story.

MO wrote: "Maltz agreed that whatever it is, it's the word for this guy
in the story and does not establish how it fits in with (native) Klingon
words for rulers or government officials or the like."

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka the "Klingon Teacher from Germany"