[tlhIngan Hol] spaces in nouns

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 16:59:29 PDT 2018

On Thu, 30 Aug 2018 at 16:41, SuStel <sustel at trimboli.name> wrote:

> On 8/30/2018 10:05 AM, Lieven L. Litaer wrote:
>
> This topic is returning very often, and Okrand seems to be "not at all
> picky about that." (email to the mailing list from loghaD, 11/16/14)
>
> The creator of the language hardly needs to worry about whether words he
> can make up at the drop of a hat need to have spaces in them.
>
> Okrand is also more concerned with spoken Klingon than written. His
> transcription system is just a description of pronunciation, and you don't
> usually pronounce spaces between words. So when pronounced,
> *HoDlupDujHomquS* is identical to *HoD lupDujHom quS** chair of the
> captain's shuttlecraft.*

Two examples of this from the early vocabulary (TKD):
yuQjIjDIvI'
DIvI'may'Duj

And then there's (TKDA):
ra'ghomquv
yejquv

And later (KGT):
'Iwghargh

So I think there's some hints in the early vocabulary that he had
considered writing noun-noun constructions as single words, and sticking
adjectival verbs to the end of the noun, at some point, but maybe changed
his mind.

--
De'vID