[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: mI' nagh

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon Aug 27 06:37:03 PDT 2018

Klingon Word of the Day for Saturday, August 25, 2018

Klingon word: mI' nagh
Part of speech: noun
Definition: playing dice, die
Source: Klingon Monopoly, published 1 November 2011

cha' mI' naghmey
two dice   (MKE)

HoSHal ghajchugh vay', mI' naghmey tIronmoH. wa'maHlogh boq'egh mI' naghmey;
   chen qav'ap. ghajwI'vaD qav'ap yIDIl.
If [energy source is] owned, throw dice and pay owner a total ten times amount
   shown.  (MKE)

pIraqSIS HoS waw' ghajlu'chugh, loSlogh boq'egh mI' naghmey mI'; chen qav'ap
If Praxis Energy Facility is owned, rent is 4 times amount shown on dice.  (MKE)

  Cf. {qeylIS mInDu'} "Eyes of Kahless" - a guessing game with dice where the winner receives a punch - in KCD: "You roll two dice (I think they have more than six sides), and the other person snatches one in each hand before you can see how they came up. Then you slap the hand that you think has the die with the higher number on top, and if you're right, you win. There can be some additions for extra flavor, such as spitting into the hand with which you're rolling, or taking a {Daqtagh} and striking it down on the table between the two hands." (qoror)  "And IIRC one of them gets punched in the face...of course." (DloraH)

"There is a certain degree of random fortune involved. I believe that is why they call it 'gambling'." (Data, about a dice game, TNG "The Royale")

COMMERCIAL TIE-IN:
  "Mined from the caves at Konohk, blood stone is a rare molten mix of unique Klingon minerals. When a vein is first found the material is in a blood red putty-like state. As soon as it hits the dense Klingon atmosphere it begins to harden and must be worked quickly. When it has fully hardened, it becomes a very dense material that is used for dice, gaming stones, pipes and jewelry. (OK Trekkies! To the best of my knowledge these are a first! You are bidding on this incredible set of custom-made KLINGON DICE! Made from a very dense pressure cast resin, (I call it blood stone) these aged dice have a look, feel and sound all their own. Marked with Klingon numeric symbols, each die measures approximately 3/4" square and comes with a certificate of authenticity signed by the artist, and a numeric chart. They're perfect for spicing up any role-playing game!)" (Brian Stone)
See the picture at briansbazar: http://www.dicecollector.com/NUMBERED_OPAQUE_SHARP_SOLID_BRIANS_BAZAR_KLINGON_BLOODSTONE_01.jpg )

SEE ALSO:
SuD 		gamble, take a chance (v)
ronmoH 	[cause to] roll (v)
DIng[moH] 	spin (v)
jaD 		throw around, hurl about (v)
ngeQ 		bump into, collide with (v)
vIH 		move, be in motion (v)

Alea iacta est ("the die has been cast"). (Julius Caesar)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons