[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: HovpoH

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Tue Aug 14 08:53:21 PDT 2018

Klingon word: HovpoH
Part of speech: noun
Definition: stardate
Source: KGT

HovpoH Hut vagh cha' wa' vI' jav Dujvam 'aghlu'pu' 'ach Qaw'lu'pu'
[This ship was demonstrated on Stardate 9521.6 but it was destroyed.
   (S33 [untranslated])

tera' poH jaj wa', jar wa', jaj loSDIch, DIS wa'-Hut-Hut-chorgh:
  HovpoHvetlh latlh nab yIHutlh
Save this Stardate: Sunday, January 4, 1998.  (STX)

This was called a "combat-date" in the alternate timeline seen in TNG "Yesterday's Enterprise".

"Timekeeping system used to provide a standard galactic temporal reference, compensating for relativistic time dilation, warp-speed displacement, and other peculiarities of interstellar space travel. (To those interested in the minutiae of stardate computation ... we shamelessly refer you to Appendix I in the 1996 edition of our book, Star Trek Chronology: The History of the Future, by Michael Okuda and Denise Okuda)".  [ The Star Trek Encyclopedia (CD-ROM)]

For an overview see the "Stardates in Star Trek Mini-Faq" at http://www.faqs.org/faqs/star-trek/stardates/ .

ngabwI's system for computing Klingon stardates is archived at http://web.archive.org/web/20041205172915/web.tampabay.rr.com/ngabwi/hovpohexp.htm  (however the text is white on a white background; select all the text on the page to see it (in Windows press CONTROL-A.)

Sustel uses a different definition of a stardate; his system is explained at  http://www.trimboli.name/stardate.html

SEE ALSO:
puq poH		generation
tera' DIS		(Terran) year
DIS poH		(a period of years). E.g.
   vatlh DIS poH		   century
   SaD DIS poH		   millennium
   netlh DIS poH		   myriad (a period of 10,000 years)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons