[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: ghojmoHwI'

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Wed Apr 4 08:49:03 PDT 2018

Klingon word: ghojmoHwI'
Part of speech: noun
Definition: teacher
Source: TKD

Although we've been using {ghojmoHwI'} for years I believe it's not actually listed in TKD, but the verb {ghojmoH} "teach,  instruct" is.  The noun was finally confirmed by Okrand at - or in an email to - qepHom 2016:

(11/07/2016):  The regular word for teacher is {ghojmoHwI'}.  A teacher held in high esteem, of higher rank than other teachers in the same institution, could be {ghojmoHwI' quv} or {ghojmoHwI' Han} (v. "be learned, scholarly, erudite").  Probably the highest standing of all is a {'a'ghen}, which can be translated as "master teacher" or "professor".

No doubt a pun lurks behind {'a'ghen} and possibly {Han}.  Anyone?

Other examples of the {NOUN quv} pattern are:

la'quv 			Supreme Commander
ra'Duch quv 		isosceles triangle
ra'ghomquv 		High Command
   'ejyo' ra'ghomquv  	   Starfleet Command
vutwI' quv 		head chef
yejquv 			High Council

Note that it's sometimes written as one word, sometimes as two.

--
Voragh
tlhIngan nompuq pIn'a'