[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: Hut'Inmey tIq

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon Apr 9 08:45:34 PDT 2018

Klingon word: Hut'Inmey tIq
Part of speech: noun
Definition: sticks used for weaving, "knitting needles"
Source:

(Okrand to De'vID, 10/2014):   [Maltz] said he does not knit and, in fact, wasn't quite sure what knitting was.  I explained.  He said there is a word perhaps best translated as "weave" and that he has heard of using sticks when doing a certain kind of weaving, but he didn't know a name for that other than "weaving".  (There are apparently other types of weaving also.)  The word for weave (verb) is {nIq}.  For the sticks used when doing whatever this weaving technique is, he's only heard {Hut'Inmey tIq}.

(Lieven, 11/12/2014):  After giving us the word for knitting, Maltz just revealed another useful and related word: it's {meS} and means knot, both as noun and verb.  The object of the verb is the thing you use to make a knot, e.g. {tlhegh vImeS} - "I make a knot in the rope".  To loosen the knot, simply say {meSHa'}.

SEE ALSO:
Hut'In  		nail (n)
Hut'In vIl  	screw (n)

--