[tlhIngan Hol] 'e', net, -Daq speculation

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Mon Apr 30 06:13:35 PDT 2018

On 4/30/2018 4:46 AM, Aurélie Demonchaux wrote:
> Maybe I'm being influenced by English here.
>
> In English, demonstrative words typically begin with "th-": this,
> that, those, the... every time, the "th-" signifies that a reference
> is made to something already known.
>
> To refer to an already known place in English, you sort of "merge"
> "th(at)" + "(wh)ere" and get "there"

/There/ is not a combination of /that/ and /where./

    Old English /þær /"in or at that place," from Proto-Germanic */thær
    /(cf. Old Saxon /thar/, Old Frisian /ther/, Middle Low German /dar/,
    Middle Dutch /daer/, Dutch /daar/, Old High German /dar/, German
    /da/, Gothic /þar/, Old Norse /þar/), from PIE */tar/- "there" (cf.
    Sanskrit /tar-hi/ "then"), from root */to/- (see the ) + adverbial
    suffix -/r/.

    <http://www.dictionary.com/browse/there?r=75&src=ref&ch=dic>

> Since in Klingon, {'e'} and {net} also mean a reference to an
> already-known element (in standard usage, the preceding sentence), and
> {-Daq} refers to a location (sort of like "where"), putting them
> together might amount to merging "that + where" as in English, thus
> getting: (?){'e'Daq} / (?){netDaq} = thereat / there where (the action
> took place).
>
> I still think it would be a neat way to solve the problem of complex
> relative clauses in the case of locatives.
>
> But really, maybe it would be best to just ask Maltz, though from what
> I've seen the chabal tetlh for the next qep'a' is already huge.

We already did ask Maltz, or at least Okrand. He replied that he
couldn't get it to work.
<http://klingonska.org/canon/1995-06-holqed-04-2-a.txt>