[tlhIngan Hol] Making someone do something to someone/something else

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Fri Sep 15 03:01:24 PDT 2017

On 15 September 2017 at 11:18, Aurélie Demonchaux
<demonchaux.aurelie at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have been wondering about how to perfectly convey sentences where there
> seems to be 2 subjects, such as "She made you wait for us" and just came up
> with an idea that I wanted to discuss with you: using < ... ’e’ qaSmoH >

If you need the specific idea of someone forcing someone to do
something, consider {raD}.
DuraDmo' juloS.

Or you can just use {-moH} on the verb.
SoHvaD nuloSmoH.

There's usually no reason to use a generic verb like {qaS} (except
when you really mean when something is happening).

> For instance:
> juloS ’e’ qaSmoH
>> Literally: She caused it to happen that you waited for us
>
> Or, for the example from last month (they made the dog enter the cage:
> DogvaD mo’ lu’elmoH):
> mo’ ’el dog ’e’ luqaSmoH
>
> When you think about it, in "She made you wait for us", the subject is "she"
> but the object is not "you", it is the action/event "you wait for us" taken
> as a whole, thus <... ’e’ qaSmoH > seems a logical way to phrase it.
>
> What do you think ? Has it maybe been discussed already ?

What's logical is not necessarily what sounds natural in a language.

--
De'vID