[tlhIngan Hol] law' and 'Iq

nIqolay Q niqolay0 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 1 09:47:43 PDT 2017

On Fri, Sep 1, 2017 at 10:36 AM, mayqel qunenoS <mihkoun at gmail.com> wrote:

> We know we can say {'ul law'} for "a great amount of electricity"; but can
> we say too {'ul 'Iq} for "too much electricity" ?
>
> Other than that, is there any other considerable difference between {law'}
> and {'Iq} ? That is a difference besides the level of "how much", expressed
> by each.
>
> For example, is the {'Iq} only to be used in cases where we want to
> express something negative ? For example {jagh 'Iq}, or can it be used too
> in order to refer to something positive, for example {batlh 'Iq} ?

If you want to convey the idea of "more than some amount" in a positive
way, or at least a value-neutral way, you could try the new word {vey'}. It
was glossed as "be comfortable" at the qep'a', in the sense of "a
comfortable income", but the core idea is "be more than enough, be more
than is just sufficient". (The notes say it's similar to {yap}, which
suggests it refers to the thing that one has a comfortable amount of,
rather than, e.g., the person who has the comfortable life.)

{batlh vey'} means "more honor than is enough" (where presumably "enough"
is measured relative to some cultural standard of minimum acceptable
honor), although you could also translate it idiomatically as "honor to
spare" or the like. ("Comfortably honorable" would also get the idea
across, though that sounds a little weird in English.)