[tlhIngan Hol] What Maltz does: {'otHa'}

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Sat Sep 30 15:41:59 PDT 2017

On 28 September 2017 at 19:38, SuStel <sustel at trimboli.name> wrote:

> Whatever the verb is, we've got a few of them in Klingon.
>
> *tagh*
>

> *taghbej mu'qaDveS **Curse warfare has definitely begun. *(CK)
> *Qu' DataghDI' 'aqtu' mellota' je tIqaw*
> * When you begin a mission, remember Aktuh and Melota. *(TKW)
>
> *mev*
>

> *not mev peghmey **Secrets never cease. *(PK)
>

> *bIjatlh 'e' yImev **Shut up!* (PK)
>
> *meQ*
>

> *Ha'DIbaHmey meQ Sop 'e' tIv tera'nganpu' **Terrans enjoy eating burnt
> animals.* (CK, but notice the missing *lu-* on *tIv*)
>

> *to'waQ meQ vutwI' **The cook burns the tendon.* (KGT)
>
> And you've noticed *pegh.* There may be others I can't remember right
> now. There are also a lot of verbs whose transitivity we don't know, like
> *DIng* *spin *and *chagh** drop.*

Some other verbs of this type (where the presence or absence of an object
changes the role of the subject) that I know of are:

{Don} v. be parallel, go parallel to
{ghom} v. meet, encounter, assemble, rendezvous
{So'} v. hide, cloak

There are also homophonous pairs like {SaH} (where it likely means "be
present" without an object and "to care about" the object when there is
one) but I think those cases are really pairs of verbs which happen to
sound the same.

--
De'vID