[tlhIngan Hol] What Maltz does: {'otHa'}

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Thu Sep 28 10:38:20 PDT 2017

On 9/28/2017 1:26 PM, André Müller wrote:
> I think ambitransitive isn't the right word here. Ambitransitive verbs
> can be intransitive or transitive, like {Soj vISop} vs. {jISop}. This
> one reminds me more of Chinese and Thai in which some verbs are their
> own causative verb. But I cannot remember the correct term for this
> type of verb...
>
> - André

> <mailto:kechpaja at comcast.net>>:
>
>     On Thu, Sep 28, 2017 at 05:06:45PM +0000, Steven Boozer wrote:
>     > SEE ALSO:
>     > pegh          keep something secret, be secret, classified (v)
>
>     Wait, does this mean that {pegh} is ambitransitive? Klingon seems to
>     have very few verbs of that type, so I figure it would be worth
>     explicitly checking.

Whatever the verb is, we've got a few of them in Klingon.

*tagh*

    *taghbej mu'qaDveS
    */Curse warfare has definitely begun. /(CK)

    *Qu' DataghDI' 'aqtu' mellota' je tIqaw*/
    When you begin a mission, remember Aktuh and Melota. /(TKW)

*mev*

    *not mev peghmey
    */Secrets never cease. /(PK)

    *bIjatlh 'e' yImev
    */Shut up!/ (PK)

*meQ*

    *Ha'DIbaHmey meQ Sop 'e' tIv tera'nganpu'
    */Terrans enjoy eating burnt animals./ (CK, but notice the missing
    *lu-* on *tIv*)

    *to'waQ meQ vutwI'
    */The cook burns the tendon./ (KGT)

And you've noticed *pegh.* There may be others I can't remember right
now. There are also a lot of verbs whose transitivity we don't know,
like *DIng* /spin /and *chagh*/drop./

And maybe, just maybe, Klingons aren't quite so rigorous with their
transitivity as we are.