[tlhIngan Hol] Are arabic numerals canon ?

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Wed Sep 27 12:59:45 PDT 2017

On 9/27/2017 3:40 PM, André Müller wrote:
> According to Memory Alpha, Cardassia Prime is the second planet in the
> system. So I would not translate Prime with {wa'} here. If we don't
> know the number of a Prime planet, perhaps {yuQ'a'} could be a solution?

But Cardassia Prime is canonically *qarDaS wa'.* Assuming that Memory
Alpha is correct, that means Klingons either translate /prime/ as *wa'*
regardless of position, or else Klingons don't follow the convention,
and it is only a convention, of numbering planets in order of distance
from their stars.

Since we also know that Klingons will translate names based (apparently)
on orbit order, and this contradicts the /prime/ naming, I conclude that
all the planet names with numbers in them are simply translations of
names, whatever the origin of the numbers, and not how Klingon
astronomers refer to them.

This means there can be confusion between knowing whether a planet is
the important one in the system or the closest one to its star. How do
you refer to Cardassia I? Oh well. These confusions happen in language.
Klingons undoubtedly think Federation Standard is dumb for getting this
all mixed up.