[tlhIngan Hol] Marc Okrand talking about DSC (spoilerfree)

mayqel qunenoS mihkoun at gmail.com
Wed Sep 27 04:19:20 PDT 2017

De'vID:
> For example, how would you translate "great leaders"?

I would choose {DevwI''a'pu'}, {DevwI'pu' Dun}, or {DevwI'pu' Dunqu'}.

De'vID:
> Keeping that in mind, are you saying that you can't hear it
> when he speaks the line that's subtitled "Great leaders, look to the stars..."?

Unfortunately no.. The only spoken klingon I can understand, is some
sentences spoken by Lieven on his youtube channel. I have no abilities
whatsoever to understand normal spoken klingon.

jIH:
> Although I would chose another way of expressing "individuality".
Lieven:
> Since Klingon is a language, and noth math, there are always different way to express ideas

Of course, and please don't misunderstand me; I'm not saying that i
would find a "better" way to express "individuality". It is just that
I wouldn't use {ngIq}, since its grammar hasn't been totally clarified
yet. Let alone the fact, that there is an additional problem, which I
describe in the rest of this message.

Lieven:
> Your suggestions are certainly worth a look. Tell us how you would solve that.

The question is, what is individuality, and how its meaning is defined
in the movie..

A movie which I haven't seen, but the way I understand the situation
from that trailer, the "individuality", of which the klingon is
speaking, isn't the individuality which one klingon possesses with
regards to the other klingon. The federation isn't coming to destroy
the klingons because each klingon is different with regards to the
other klingon. The federation is coming to destroy the klingons,
because of their collective individuality, which they as a race
possess. Or at least this is what the klingon speaking thinks.

When I read the sentence {mapIm ngIq maH 'e' luQaw'meH ghoS chaH}, the
{ngIq maH} "feels to me" as "each one of us". (and I say "feels",
because the grammar of {ngIq} is yet to be clarified),.

So, the meaning becomes "because each one of us is different, they
come to destroy us". So, if each klingon was identical to the next
klingon, the federation would have no problem ?

Because of these reasons, i would choose something like:

{pImchu'mo' Seghmaj, nuQaw'meH nughoS}
because our race is perfectly different they approach to destroy us
or
{pImchu'mo' Seghmaj lurDechmey, nuQaw'meH ghoS}
because the traditions of our race are perfectly different they
approach to destroy us
or
{pImchu'mo' Seghmaj qangtlhIn, nuQaw'meH ghoS}
because the ideology of our race is perfectly different they approach
to destroy us

Alternatively, instead of {pImchu'mo}, I could use {le'chu'mo'},
{motlhHa'chu'mo'}, or maybe even {qubchu'mo'} or {nIvchu'mo'},
although the last two wouldn't be my first choices.

Of course, longer constructions could be used too, such as:

{qIb HochDaq nururmo' pagh nuQaw'meH nughoS}
because at all of the galaxy no one resembles us, they approach to destroy us

Furthermore at the original sentence {mapIm ngIq maH 'e' luQaw'meH
ghoS chaH}, I feel that the {chaH} is unnecessary, since the listener
almost certainly knows who's approaching so no further clarification
is needed.

And finally, since the {ghoS} can mean either "approach" or "go away
from", depending on the presence of nouns with the suffixes {-Daq} and
{vo'}, (HQ 7.4, p.2-12, Dec. 1998), perhaps I would write:

{yadda yadda yadda nuQaw'meH maHDaq ghoS}

But that is a matter of personal preference, since obviously, in the
context of the film, someone is coming to them in order to destroy
them, and cannot be "going away from them" in order to accomplish
that, unless of course he's planning to let them starve, be destroyed
on their own etc..

qunnoq