[tlhIngan Hol] Expressing Anno Domini

qurgh lungqIj qurgh at wizage.net
Fri Sep 22 11:35:19 PDT 2017

On Fri, Sep 22, 2017 at 2:26 PM, mayqel qunenoS <mihkoun at gmail.com> wrote:

> Now, qurgh, don't misunderstand me; the {bov motlh} is perfectly
> understandable for a native english speaker; it is just that it could be
> difficult for someone else, whose native language doesn't use the
> c.e./b.c.e. method.
>
> So, as a result of the above, I will use {christ bov nubwI'} for
> b.c./b.c.e. and SuStel's {christ bov} for a.d./c.e.
>
> qunnoq

I feel that same way about AD/BC. If you are a Christian, or familiar with
Christendom, then those terms make sense. If you aren't familiar with that
religion, then you'd have to Google this "Christ" person to figure out that
the dates have something to do with when some people claim he was born.
Since Greek culture is heavily Christian it makes sense for you, but for
someone in a non-Christian culture, they won't know what you are talking
about. There's even some cultures on Earth that don't use the AD/CE-BC/BCE
calendar at all.

I'm not saying you shouldn't say it the way you want to say it, I'm just
pointing out that AD/BC isn't universal either.

qurgh