[tlhIngan Hol] Spoils of war

qurgh lungqIj qurgh at wizage.net
Thu Sep 14 08:53:23 PDT 2017

On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 11:36 AM, SuStel <sustel at trimboli.name> wrote:

> On 9/14/2017 11:27 AM, qurgh lungqIj wrote:
>
> On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 11:14 AM, SuStel <sustel at trimboli.name> wrote:
>
>> On 9/14/2017 11:01 AM, qurgh lungqIj wrote:
>>
>>> Remember that Klingons conquer. They take control of planets once they
>>> defeat the current owners of it. They then use the resources on that planet
>>> to build more ships etc. They don't care about taking the stuff that
>>> belongs to the locals.
>>>

>> Let's not go making up new cultural details to justify not knowing a
>> word. Do Klingons never raid a place and take the stuff from it? Suppose
>> they raided a Cardassian base during the war with the Dominion. They didn't
>> stay to govern. Did they take nothing? What about Leskit from "Soldiers of
>> the Empire," who wore a necklace of Cardassian neck bones?
>

> So I made up the concept that Klingons conquer stuff?
>
> No, you made up the concept that Klingons don't care about taking the
> stuff that belongs to the locals.

Based on Star Trek canon that we have seen so far, they generally don't.
I'm not making anything up, simply relaying what we know based on what's
been shown that may help explain why "spoils of war" may not be a concept
that Klingons focus on enough to have a specific word for.

In "Once More Unto the Breach" they do a "cavalry raid" against the
Dominion and attack without taking anything.

In "Errand of Mercy" when they conquer Organia but there's no evidence that
they take anything from the locals. They just want the planet due to it's
position.

If there's Trek canon that shows Klingons invading somewhere, and then
leaving with stuff, share it with us. As far as I recall I don't know any.

I'm trying to give qunnoq some show background that may help him look at
this from a in-universe point of view.

qurgh