[tlhIngan Hol] Two {-'e'}'s in a pronoun sentence.

qurgh lungqIj qurgh at wizage.net
Tue Sep 12 10:47:14 PDT 2017

On Tue, Sep 12, 2017 at 1:21 PM, mayqel qunenoS <mihkoun at gmail.com> wrote:

> nIqolay Q:
> > But after a while you have to realize that you're probably not > opening
> up productive new avenues of linguistic innovation, > you're just trying to
> convince yourself that nonsense isn't
> > nonsense.
>
> One thing which truly amazes me on this list, is how some people are
> always ready to judge others with regards to the questions they choose to
> ask.

I don't see his statement as judging, just stating that sometimes the path
that questions follow leads to nonsense. I read it as being from personal
experience. Sometimes we all go down the nonsense hole, and sometimes we
need someone else to point out that we are in it. This is part of the
learning process.

> Has anyone here appointed himself as the klingon-police, who will examine
> the quality of other people's questions and pass judgement as far as their
> motives for asking are concerned ?

No one is judging your motives for asking questions, but just as you have
the right to ask any question, others have the right to answer those
questions by saying the questions or answers don't make sense to them.

> Either you like it or not, different things will concern different people,
> and each person will require assistance with regards to the obstacles he
> has encountered.
>

> When I ask something, I am not asking in order to just post a question. I
> ask because I have come across an obstacle.
>

> Or do I need to explain myself each time I ask something ?

If you explained the obstacle that you came across, that would probably
actually be very helpful for those trying to get you answers. If we knew
you were trying to say X, then someone might be able to tell you a way it's
been expressed in the past. Context is very important in Klingon, so
abstract discussions of grammar can be tough if other people don't know
your goal. I, personally, can't think of a time when I'd want to use
something like {b'e' 'oH a'e'} or {yadda yadda yadda b'e' 'oHbogh 'a'e'}.

The example you give of {nepwI''e' chaH verengan'e'} would come out of my
head as {verengan nepwI''e' chaH} "They are Ferengi LIARS" which avoids the
issue. While {nutojta' nepwI''e' chaHbogh verengan'e'} would come out of my
head as {nuyojta' verengan nepwI''e'} "The Ferengi LIARS deceived us".

> So relax. Noone is defiling your immaculate klingon grammar.

I would ask you to do the same thing and not assume people are judging you
personally when they voice their opinion about a question or opinion you
wrote. You also did ask for people to correct you, and telling you that you
may be in the nonsense hole IS part of correcting you. :)

qurgh