[tlhIngan Hol] ghelwI'

Lieven levinius at gmx.de
Tue Sep 5 06:31:49 PDT 2017

Am 05.09.2017 um 15:16 schrieb mayqel qunenoS:
> I didn't know this; so the translation of {-wI'} is "-er", regardless it
> refers to a person or an object ?

No, I didn't say that. It was a hint to remember. TKD says that "The
English suffix "-er" [...] is a rough equivalent."

Plese check my other mail where I explain that the subject of {ghel}
seems to be the person who is asking.

Regarding your question on {-wI'}, there are many words which can have
double meanings - maybe even all. For instance, a {ghItlhwI'} can be a
pen, but also a person who writes. A {DuDwI'} is described as a mixer,
but of course it can be a person who is mixing the sauce.

So theoretically, the {ghelwI'} might indeed be a sentence, but it just
sounds strange. The sentence does not ask the question, it IS the
question. I wouldn't use that unless Maltz tells us that it's okay to do so.

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka Quvar valer 'utlh