[tlhIngan Hol] law' and 'Iq

mayqel qunenoS mihkoun at gmail.com
Fri Sep 1 07:55:28 PDT 2017

SuStel:
> *'Iq* is an inherently negative concept.

Does the {tlhoy} convey a negative concept too ? If I say {tlhoy batlh
chIw} for "he epitomizes honor excessively", then is this something
positive, or something negative ?

qunnoq

On Sep 1, 2017 17:43, "Steven Boozer" <sboozer at uchicago.edu> wrote:

(IMO, *HolQeD* 8.3):  When *tlhoy *is used, it denotes that the action
expressed by the verb is what is being overly done or done too much. … To
express the idea of “too much *gagh*” or “too many tribbles,” the verb
*'Iq* *be
too many, be too much* is used adjectivally. For example: *yIHmey 'Iq
vIlegh* *I see too many tribbles*. *qagh 'Iq vISop* * I eat too much gagh*.
Sometimes, the word *law'qu'* *be very many* (formed from *law'* *be many*
plus –*qu'*, the emphatic suffix) is translated 'be too many.' If the
context is clear, this is acceptable, but if it important to stress the
idea of “overly many, overly much, more than there ought to be,” *tlhoy *or
*'Iq* is usually employed.

--Voragh

*From:* mayqel qunenoS

We know we can say {'ul law'} for "a great amount of electricity"; but can
we say too {'ul 'Iq} for "too much electricity" ?

Other than that, is there any other considerable difference between {law'}
and {'Iq} ? That is a difference besides the level of "how much", expressed
by each.

For example, is the {'Iq} only to be used in cases where we want to express
something negative ? For example {jagh 'Iq}, or can it be used too in order
to refer to something positive, for example {batlh 'Iq} ?

qunnoq