[tlhIngan Hol] ngIq (WAS: vengDaq, vengmeyDaq je)

Brent Kesler brent.of.all.people at gmail.com
Wed Sep 6 08:21:39 PDT 2017

On Wed, Sep 6, 2017 at 9:45 AM, Steven Boozer <sboozer at uchicago.edu> wrote:

> Some examples of {ngIq} for comparison:
>
> ngIq nuv luHoH
> they killed the warriors one by one. ('u'-OPERA)
>
> yerchajvo' Haw' qamchIynganpu' ngIq nuv luHoH
> The people of Qam-Chee, they fled their territory, and were killed one by
> one (PB)
>
> nIteb chegh molor ngIq ghoqwI'
> One by one Molor's scouts return (PB)
>
> ngIq raQvaD cha'maH vagh QaS yInob
> For each outpost pay 25 forces. (MKE)
>
> ngIq gholvaD vaghmaH QaS yInob
> Pay each player 50 forces. (MKE)
>
> ngIq gholvo' wa'maH QaS yItlhap
> Collect 10 forces from every player. (MKE)
>
> BTW notice the absence of {-taH} or {-qa'} on the verbs.

In these examples, "each" would make a good gloss for {ngIq}. But there are
other examples that don't fit that idea, also from paq'batlh.

     ngIq tonSaw' lo' 'ej tIqDu' lel
     ngIq tonSaw' lo' 'ej quvqa'
     ngIq tonSaw' lo' 'ej rIn may'

     In one single move, he removed the hearts
     In one single move, he restored his honor
     In one single move, the battle was won

That makes the meaning of {ngIq} almost always ambiguous.

Why does {ngIq nuv luHoH} mean "They kill each person" instead of "They
kill a single person"?

Why does {nIteb chegh molor ngIq ghoqwI'} mean "one by one Molor's scouts
return" instead of "Molor's single scout returned alone"?

Why does {ngIq tonSaw' lo'} mean "In a single move" instead of "With each
move"?

I don't like that ambiguity, so I avoid {ngIq}.

bI'reng