[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: vung

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Fri Sep 29 12:07:09 PDT 2017

On 9/29/2017 2:49 PM, nIqolay Q wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 29, 2017 at 1:10 PM, SuStel <sustel at trimboli.name
> <mailto:sustel at trimboli.name>> wrote:
>
>     I wouldn't assume that *vungwI'* is the noun form of /hurricane/
>     any more than I would assume that *SISwI'* is the noun form of
>     /rain./
>
> I'm not sure the distinction is quite the same. Rain, as a noun and
> verb, and presumably *SIS* also, refers mainly to the precipitation,
> whereas *SISwI'*, if it meant anything, would probably refer to the
> rainclouds, which have rain as one of their effects but are considered
> a distinct thing from rain itself. Whereas in the case of hurricanes,
> the English noun refers to both the weather conditions (rain, wind,
> storm surge, the stuff associated with *vung*) brought about by the
> weather system, as well as the weather system itself.

Let me rephrase to make it clear what I meant. I wouldn't assume
*vungwI'* is the noun meaning /hurricane /any more than I would assume
that *SISwI'* is the noun meaning /rain event./

>     Instead of trying to turn it into a noun, use it as a subjectless
>     verb.
>
>     *tugh */Florida/*Daq vung; ghoSlI' */Irma./
>
> That works fine in a lot of cases, e.g. *naDev qen vung*, /"A
> hurricane came through here recently."/ But sometimes it's more
> convenient to be able to refer to hurricanes as discrete things, like
> if you want to refer to their size or intensity or track.

Yep, it would be convenient. But they're verbs, and that's how the
language works. Find a way around it.

    *qen naDev vung.
    vaghvatlh qelI'qam juch wanI'.
    wej 'oH SeghDaj'e'.