[tlhIngan Hol] Hech

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Fri Sep 29 10:49:29 PDT 2017

On 9/29/2017 1:43 PM, nIqolay Q wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 29, 2017 at 1:32 PM, SuStel <sustel at trimboli.name
> <mailto:sustel at trimboli.name>> wrote:
>
>     A clipped form of something long that just /happens/ to exactly
>     resemble something shorter that is the Englishy way you want to
>     say it anyway is just a /little/ too convenient for my tastes.
>
> You have a good point about being too Englishy, and it's good to keep
> in mind. But on the other hand, it's not like English is the only
> language that shortens things, and using *Hech *with a noun object
> that represents some sort of intended outcome doesn't seem to me to
> stretch the basic idea of the verb so much that a Klingon would only
> consider it after too much exposure to *DIvI' Hol*.

No, it doesn't seem like a huge stretch, and if that's how it works,
then that's fine. I'm just saying let's not go down the
clipping-to-make-it-work-like-English-because-that's-easier route, which
we have wrestled with before on this list. As I said, my strongest
reaction to the initial question was a mere "I'm not so sure."