[tlhIngan Hol] reH Human leghDI' vIghro'

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Fri Sep 29 11:15:35 PDT 2017

On 9/29/2017 1:45 PM, mayqel qunenoS wrote:
> And I liked a lot the {tera' vIghro'}. I will be using it from now on,
> in order to differentiate from the tlhIngan vIghro'.

That's the classic /Star Trek/ way of naming alien animals. Call it
something from Earth, possibly give it a descriptor, and stick a planet
name in front of it. Aldebaran shellmouth, Alverian dung beetle, Edosian
suckerfish, Rafalian mouse.

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Animals

So it only makes sense that Klingons do the same in reverse: everything
is compared to a Klingon animal, and you stick a planet name in front of
it. *reghuluS 'Iwghargh, DenIb Qatlh. tera' vIghro'.*

Once in a great while the writers will actually come up with a native
word for an animal. Mugato or sehlat, for instance. Pay attention when
you catch one of these; when it first appears it signals a story worth
paying attention to.