[tlhIngan Hol] Marc Okrand talking about DSC (spoilerfree)

Felix Malmenbeck felixm at kth.se
Wed Sep 27 16:08:16 PDT 2017

> What you do is count up exceptional circumstances. If a given piece of canon (1) is a toast,

> which uses special grammar, and (2) violates a clear rule, that's two reasons to be uncertain

> about the correctness of that canon. The more reasons to doubt the grammar of an utterance,

> the less certain you can be of the explanation of that sentence.

I agree with this, although I do think canonical counter-examples are still relevant to the discussion.

I also don't don't really think that reason (1) holds up, considering {wo' DevtaHjaj ghawran} is explicitly stated not to be a toast, in contrast with {wo' ghawran DevtaHjaj}.

It's also worth noting that paq'batlh contains two similar sentences (one of which is repeated three times). I'm generally very suspicious towards paq'batlh, in part because it is meant to be an old and poetic text, but mostly because we know it contains a lot of oddities.

The sentences are listed here:

http://www.klingonwiki.net/En/PaqbatlhNewRules#A_2._Verb_45suffix_7_43_jaj

> But we're not talking about Okrandian canon here; we're talking about stuff Qov wrote.

It seems to me the discussion is about the sentence {tlhIngan maH. taHjaj.} and how many have interpreted it as *tlhIngan maHtaHjaj.*. In the course of this discussion, the grammaticality of *maHtaHjaj* came up.

Also, considering Qov's command of the language, whether or not a sentence is grammatical can be seen as a hint as to whether or not she would have written it (although I think the other evidence we have is quite sufficient on its own).

A further piece of evidence that I don't believe has been mentioned here is that Kenneth Mitchell (Kol) spelled it that way in a tweet, so that's another one of Qov's disciples.

https://twitter.com/MrKenMitchell/status/858031343862767617

> But if you always do that, they're not really mu'mey ru'. You're taking the exceptions to the

> language and applying them generally, while telling yourself that you're not really doing that.

I don't really think that's true, unless it catches on in a big way and starts being considered "correct" to some extent, or was treated as an ordinary expression. It seems to match the definition of {mu'mey ru'}:

"Sometimes words or phrases are coined for a specific occasion, intentionally violating grammatical rules in order to have an impact. Usually these are never heard again, though some gain currency and might as well be classified as slang. Klingon grammarians call such forms {mu'mey ru'} ("temporary words")."

I'll confess that when I first used this construction, I didn't realize that it was ungrammatical, so that was just a {Qaghna'}. Now I know, however, and intend to go on using it :)