[tlhIngan Hol] Marc Okrand talking about DSC (spoilerfree)

Felix Malmenbeck felixm at kth.se
Tue Sep 26 18:27:35 PDT 2017

> -taHjaj violates the rule that - jaj isn't used with vs7.

It's worth noting that so do «wo' DevtaHjaj ghawran» and «wo' ghawran DevtaHjaj», which are used in KGT to illustrate toast grammar. Could be seen as a mistake, but then again, using mu'mey ru' in toasts and wishes appeals to me somehow.

In any event, it's been clarified by Mary Chieffo that the sentence means "We are Klingon, let it remain.", which strongly suggests that it's «tlhIngan maH. taHjaj.»

https://www.usatoday.com/videos/life/tv/2017/09/25/can-you-speak-klingon-star-trek-discoverys-mary-chieffo-can/105832414/?utm_source=feedblitz&utm_medium=FeedBlitzRss&utm_campaign=usatoday-lifetopstories

...and an even stronger indication is that when I transcribed the phrase as *tlhIngan maHtaHjaj* earlier this year, Qov pointed out the vs7 + -jaj rule to me. Now that we know she wrote it, that probably means there should indeed be a space in there :P

//loghaD