[tlhIngan Hol] Is this correct ?

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Tue Sep 26 07:36:53 PDT 2017

You’re both forgetting the rarely-used Type 2 suffix {-qang} “is willing to”.  E.g.:

  qaja'qang
  I am willing to tell you  (TKD)

  QaHqang
  He/she is willing to help.  (KGT)

  Heghqang
  he/she is willing to die  (TKD)

  HeghqangmoHlu'pu'
  It made him willing to die.  (TKD)

  vaSvamDaq tuq veng je quvvaD Heghqangbogh SuvwI’ tu’be’lu’’a’
  Is there nobody in this hall prepared to die for the honor of your tribe and city? (PB)

So how about:

  jeSlaH ghojqangbogh nuvpu'
  those willing to learn can participate
  (“the people who are willing to learn are able to participate”)

--Voragh

From: Elizabeth Faber

I think you are trying to translate the English too directly.  How about:

jeSlaH ghojwI'pu'
learners can participate

That's the cleanest translation I can come up with, and while its not exact it would serve most purposes.  If you really want to make it conditional on volition, it would be at least somewhat less awkward with -chugh

ghoj neHchugh jeSlaH
If (he/one) wants to learn, (he/one) can participate

I like the phrasing better in second person

Daghoj bIneHchugh, bIjeSlaH

or

bIghoj bIneHchugh, bIjeSlaH

I think these last two convey your sentiment the most exactly without sounding terribly awkward in Klingon

-be''etlh