[tlhIngan Hol] Expressing Anno Domini

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Fri Sep 22 11:55:01 PDT 2017

On 9/22/2017 2:35 PM, qurgh lungqIj wrote:
> I feel that same way about AD/BC. If you are a Christian, or familiar
> with Christendom, then those terms make sense. If you aren't familiar
> with that religion, then you'd have to Google this "Christ" person to
> figure out that the dates have something to do with when some people
> claim he was born. Since Greek culture is heavily Christian it makes
> sense for you, but for someone in a non-Christian culture, they won't
> know what you are talking about. There's even some cultures on Earth
> that don't use the AD/CE-BC/BCE calendar at all.

And yet the Skybox cards call their dates *tera' DIS,* as if they are
used by the whole planet.

As children, most Americans have no idea what A.D. stands for, and some
don't know what B.C. stands for. That doesn't stop them from saying /AD/
and /BC,/ though. /CE/ and /BCE/ are largely reserved for publications,
and then only the more scholarly sorts. You don't need to know anything
about Christ or Christianity to use /AD/ or /BC/, or to use Christ as an
epoch.

Keeping time is largely a matter of convention, not logic. You don't
need to understand conventions to use them.