[tlhIngan Hol] Expressing Anno Domini

mayqel qunenoS mihkoun at gmail.com
Fri Sep 22 11:26:49 PDT 2017

qurgh:
> Maybe {tera' DIS wa'-pagh-pagh qaSpa' tera' DIS pagh,
> jagh luHIv} - "Terran year 100, before Terran year 0
> happened, they attacked the enemy.", but that still feels
> clunky to me.

I agree. Since the c.e./b.c.e. construction is to be used as part of a
larger sentence, if the construction which someone uses is long, then the
result will probably be a long and difficult to understand sentence.

So, so far, SuStel's {christ bov} -in my opinion- is superior.

As far as the {bov motlh} is concerned, I don't know whether I would
understand it to be "c.e.", unless someone had explained this to me first.

I know it will sound strange, but in Greek there's no c.e./b.c.e. In order
to express the year, someone has to use a.d./b.c. There is no other way,
and if there is, it is so rare, that I have never come across it.

The first time I read "c.e." in english, I had to google it to understand
what it means.. And even then it felt strange. So, reading the {bov motlh},
there is no way I would understand the intented meaning.

Now, qurgh, don't misunderstand me; the {bov motlh} is perfectly
understandable for a native english speaker; it is just that it could be
difficult for someone else, whose native language doesn't use the
c.e./b.c.e. method.

So, as a result of the above, I will use {christ bov nubwI'} for
b.c./b.c.e. and SuStel's {christ bov} for a.d./c.e.

qunnoq