[tlhIngan Hol] Expressing Anno Domini

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Fri Sep 22 11:11:12 PDT 2017

AFAIK all Terran dates are read in cardinal numbers, as if you’re reading each digit individually (e.g. 2-0-1-7):

TM, ® (c) je tera' DIS wa'-Hut-Hut-loS Paramount Pictures.
TM, ® c.1994 Paramount Pictures. (SkyBox Copyright)

tera' poH jaj wa', jar wa', jaj loSDIch, DIS wa'-Hut-Hut-chorgh: HovpoHvetlh latlh nab yIHutlh
Save this Stardate:  Sunday, January 4, 1998. (STX)

tera' jar Soch, DIS wa' Hut jav Hut, maSDaq SaqmeH Qu' wa'DIch HochHom turlu'taHvIS, wej logh lengwI'pu' pa'mey 'oH APOLLO wa'maH wa' ra'ghom bobcho' COLOMBIA'e'.
The Apollo 11 Command Module, Columbia, was the living quarters for the three-person crew during most of the first manned lunar landing mission in July 1969. (NASM)

This also applies to century names:

tera' vatlh DIS poH cha'maH loS bIyIn jeSlaHpa' Hoch
Be the first to journey to the 24th century. (STX)

… qItI'nga' Duj.  tera' vatlh DIS poH cha'maH wej HochHom lo'lu'taH
the K'Tinga-class remained in use for most of the 23rd century.  (S15)

tera' vatlh DIS poH cha'maH loS bong QongmeH qItI'nga' Duj tI'ang ghompu' DIvI' 'ejDo' 'entepray'
A sleeper ship of this [K'Tinga] class, the T'Ong, was encountered in the 24th century by the USS Enterprise. (S15)

jIvIb. qaSDI’ vatlh DIS poH cha’maH Hut, jImev.
I time-travel to the 29th century.
(lit. “I time-travel into the future. When Century 29 happens, I stop.”) (qep'a' 2016)

Note the ordinal number isn’t used:  cha’maH loS  not *cha’maH loSDIch.

The one exception I know of was the Klingon date in the “Message To Kronos” where the number was read in decimal groups, not individual digits:

poH tuj bI'reS nungbogh wa' jaj qeylIS DIS chorghvatlh loSmaH jav qaStaHvIS  [sic]
In the days that follow the summer solstice in the Year of Kahless 846. ('u'-MTK)

N.B.  chorghvatlh loSmaH jav “eight-hundred forty six” NOT chorgh-loS-jav “eight four six”.

Is this because it’s a Klingon date, as opposed to those peculiar Terran dates?  Or because it’s part of a dating formula, “the Year of Kahless”?  Or because it’s a relatively low number (say under a thousand)?

--Voragh

That I don't know. The Skybox canon suggests that we should spell out the dates. I don't know of other date canon (although I wouldn't be surprised if there was something in Monopoly). Perhaps Voragh may be able to help us in that area.

qurgh