[tlhIngan Hol] Nouns in apposition

Lieven levinius at gmx.de
Thu Sep 21 01:04:03 PDT 2017

Am 21.09.2017 um 09:55 schrieb Anthony Appleyard:
> If in speech there is a special tone to show when {X Y} means "Y which is X" and not "Y of X", it may (ask Okrand) be an idea to put a mark between the words to show this in writing, as in the book name "paq'batlh".

First, the apostrophe in {paq'batlh} is an archaic form of writing and
is wrong according to today's rules. The book of honor is {batlh paq}

To distinguish by speaking aloud, I wouldstress the word like this:

{pIqarD HOOD} "picard's captain"
{PIQARD HoD} "Captain Picard"

But you want this in a written form.

Since Klingon was intended as a spoken language only in the first place,
I doubt we would get a satisfyaing answer to this.

I suggest resolving such ambiguouties by adding some context:

DaHjaj muSuch HoDwI'. pIqarD 'oH pongDaj'e'. reH pIqarD HoD vIghom 'e'
vItIv.

DaHjaj muSuch pIqarD HoD. ghawran 'oH pongDaj'e'. pIqarD ra' 'e' tIv
ghawran HoD.

etc.

--
Lieven L. Litaer