[tlhIngan Hol] Nouns in apposition

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Wed Sep 20 07:42:21 PDT 2017

On 9/20/2017 9:55 AM, mayqel qunenoS wrote:
> Is there such a rule, or is it something which is decided each time
> based on context ? Or maybe even on which type-5 noun suffix is
> actually used ? Because in Aurelie's example we have a {-vaD}, while
> in mine we have a {-Daq}.

With *-Daq,* you can have things within things. You can have both things
be locative but not equal. Not so with *-vaD:* every beneficiary is
individual. You could probably make *-vo'* work like *-Daq.*

There is no rule here. We have scant evidence—Voragh has given some—so
I'm going on what seems natural to me given both my native English bias
and my knowledge of Klingon.

If you need a rule of thumb, then mine is this: if multiple noun phrases
occupy the same syntactic role in a single sentence and are equal in
their scopes, they should be followed by a conjunction, otherwise they
must be interpreted in some other way. Other interpretations commonly
include apposition or some being subordinate in scope to others.