[tlhIngan Hol] Nouns in apposition

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Wed Sep 20 07:09:25 PDT 2017

tlhIngan juHqo'Daq tlhIng yoSDaq 'oH toQDuj chenmoHlu'meH Daq wa'DIch'e'
1st Construction Site: The Kling District, Klingon Home World.  (KBoP)

“in the Kling District on the Klingon home world” = one place (i.e. a single shipyard)

loghDaq lupDujHom qoDDaq bIlengtaHvIS, nIbuQbogh novpu' DaSuv
Battle menacing aliens in a shuttlecraft journey through space.  (STX)

“inside a shuttlecraft in space” = one place (i.e. a single ship)

versus:

poSDaq nIHDaq je QamtaHvIS SuvwI'pu', chaH jojDaq yItnIS lopwI'
The initiate must pass through a gauntlet of warriors.  (S9)

“on the left (side) and on the right (side)” = two places (i.e. two separate rows of warriors)

--Voragh

From: SuStel