[tlhIngan Hol] Making someone do something to someone/something else

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Mon Sep 18 08:35:28 PDT 2017

On 9/18/2017 11:13 AM, mayqel qunenoS wrote:
> Aurelie Demonchaux:
> > yaSvaD qama'vaD taj nobmoH HoD
>
> If I saw this sentence without knowing the intented meaning, chances
> are I would understand, that the {yaSvaD} and {qama'vaD} are nouns in
> apposition.
>
> So, I would eventually understand, that "the captain gave the knife
> for the officer and the prisoner".

I agree that apposition might be a strong interpretation, but the
translation would be this: /the captain makes the officer, the prisoner,
give the knife./ Apposition means the two noun phrases are equated with
each other. They are not conjoined with an /and./ Here, with apposition,
the officer is a prisoner.

If the captain made two separate people, an officer and a prisoner, give
knives, the sentence would be *yaSvaD qama'vaD je taj nobmoH HoD.*

By the way, watch out with your translation. The captain doesn't give
the knife to an officer or a prisoner, he makes them give knives to
someone unspecified or general.