[tlhIngan Hol] Spoils of war

Felix Malmenbeck felixm at kth.se
Thu Sep 14 10:59:20 PDT 2017

Presumably, yes, hence the "[sic]"; this means that there is an error in the quoted material :)

//loghaD

14 sep. 2017 kl. 19:57 skrev mayqel qunenoS <mihkoun at gmail.com<mailto:mihkoun at gmail.com>>:

> popwIj 'oH nach

Isn't here an {-'e'} on {nach} missing ?

qunnoq

On Sep 14, 2017 8:53 PM, "Felix Malmenbeck" <felixm at kth.se<mailto:felixm at kth.se>> wrote:
I'm thinking <pop> (or <veS popmey>) might work. In paq'batlh, Kahless says to Morath (on the subject of a targ that Kahless slew):

loDnI'wI' bIHoHta'be'
popwIj 'oH nach [sic]
juHDaq porgh Daqem

My brother you failed to kill,
The head is my reward,
You bring the carcass home.

So, here <pop> is used in the sense of a reward that is claimed, rather than one that is willingly given. Whether or not this usage is metaphorical, I cannot say.

//loghaD