[tlhIngan Hol] info about Star Trek Discovery from Toronto FanExpo

nIqolay Q niqolay0 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 12 11:54:46 PDT 2017

On Tue, Sep 12, 2017 at 2:47 PM, De'vID <de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12 September 2017 at 20:42, qurgh lungqIj <qurgh at wizage.net> wrote:
> > On Tue, Sep 12, 2017 at 2:31 PM, Michael Roney, Jr. <nahqun at gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >>
> >> No, him pointing to the light was public knowledge.
> >> He did so in public, in front of everyone, which is why people were
> >> motivated to travel to that light and build a monastery.
> >> That he made the first betleH out of hair and lava was the big secret.
> >>
> >> vaHbo' jIb je lo' qeylIS.
> >
> > Ahh. HIvqa' veqlargh! I thought it was common knowledge that he made the
> > first batleth in that way. I guess it was just common knowledge that he
> made
> > it in general, although saying he used hair and lava doesn't actually
> > explain how he made it!
>
> pegh'a'? paq'batlhDaq lutvam laDlaH vay' jay'.

Well, all the texts of the paq'batlh we have (and all the things we know
about Klingon after TKD) post-date the arrival of the clone of Kahless,
when the story was okay to make public. Maybe in olden times the priests
just left that part out with a "[...n lines missing...]" and a shrug. (It
wouldn't be the worst explanation a sci-fi story has used to cover up plot
holes.)