[tlhIngan Hol] Expressing how much

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon Sep 11 09:09:05 PDT 2017

DuQ                touch (emotionally) [e.g. food, music]

  muDuQ bom
  The song stabs me. (i.e. The song moves me.) KGT

nong                be passionate

  nong; vulqangan rur
  passionate as a Vulcan  (KGT)
 maSuv manong 'ej maHoHchu'
  We fight, we love, and then we kill. (Anthem)

muSHa’ has been so treated in the paq’batlh:

  SaqSub'e' muSHa'bogh pawmeH leng qeylIS HuDmey Sal ghIq ghIr
  And Kahless traveled to his beloved Saq'sub, over the mountains (PB)

so how about a simple:
  chay’ chomuSHa’ ?
  How do you love me?

--Voragh

From: nIqolay Q
SuStel made some pretty good points and suggestions. But if you're looking for a very literal translation that uses 'ar, I came up with jIHvaD parmaq 'ar Daghaj? "How much love do you have for me?"

ghaj is probably not the best verb here but unfortunately we don't yet have a verb for "feel an emotion", which is what I'd be inclined to use otherwise.