[tlhIngan Hol] vengDaq, vengmeyDaq je

Jeremy Silver jp.silver at tiscali.co.uk
Sat Sep 9 01:31:06 PDT 2017

On Friday, 8 September 2017 23:26:13 BST De'vID wrote:
> On 6 September 2017 at 15:15, Jeremy Silver <jp.silver at tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
> > Still, on a related note, I've been having problems recently trying to
> > figure out a reasonable way, with or without {ngIq}, to say "atom by atom
> > [something happens]" and "cell by cell [something else happens]".
>
> I presume this has to do with this DSC promo?
> https://twitter.com/StarTrekNetflix/status/901134702622367748
> "Atom by atom, they will silence us. Cell by cell, our souls shall
> become theirs."

Indeed, for this excercise I think I settled on this version (which omits
ngIq) for the whole promo text. Even after re-reading mayqel's thread and this
one a few times, I'm /still/ not clear how to use ngIq for my own purposes
yet.

{nughoStaH chaH.
wa' HeySel ghIq latlh HeySel, nutammoH chaH.
wa' HanDI' ghIq latlh HanDI', qa'chaj moj qa'maj.
tlhIngan maHtaHmeH maghobnIS. potlhchu' meqvam.}

The facebook group has multiple possible translations of the last bit, and I
just chose the shortest version of my own attempt. Replacing with a
superlative construction moves it closer to an exact translation but increases
the compexity a bit more.