[tlhIngan Hol] vengDaq, vengmeyDaq je

Brent Kesler brent.of.all.people at gmail.com
Wed Sep 6 08:04:44 PDT 2017

I should probably provide some context. The sentence I'm trying to
translate comes from Thucydides describing the civil war in Corcyra during
the Peloponesian War. So it's not a city revolting against a larger
government, but people within the city revolting against the government of
the city itself. That's why I went with {vengDaq qaSchoHpu' Daw'} rather
than {Daw'choH veng}.

I agree, though, {Daw'choH veng} has a simplicity that {vengDaq qaSchoHpu'
veng} lacks.

Perhaps {vengDaq Daw'choHlu', ghIq vengmeyDaq Daw'choHlu'}.

Sometimes it was democrats rebelling against oligarchies, and sometimes
oligarchs overthrowing democracies; that's why I didn't go with something
like {vengDaq Daw'choH roghvaH}.

bI'reng